Contracts & Rates
|Not-for-profit organizations (501c3 and similar)||$90/hour|
|Public and private sector (government units, businesses)||$100/hour|
|Overage Rate (hours beyond base contract)||+15%|
*Less than 72 hour turnaround requested by client, or Upward Development has to request information, documents or a response 3+ times.
Regional rates for development consultants and grant fundraisers in small and medium-sized cities are typically $60 to $150 an hour. We do not work on a commission or percentage basis. See this link for more information.
Please contact Andi for more information
and a free quote.
We Use Written Contracts
We develop custom contracts to meet the needs of each organization served. Their format, timeline and deliverables are based on the requested scope of work, deadlines, client’s budget to pay for services, and the availability of all parties.
Contract Types and Project Examples
- An hourly rate contract works well for smaller projects. A cap on hours is included to protect all parties.
- Writing letters of inquiry, small and medium grants. Reviewing documents. Researching funding partners and making recommendations.
- Flat fee contracts for large projects. They include a cap on hours, rush rate provisions and specify higher rates for overage time if necessary.
- Medium to large grants, federal and state grants, assessments, strategic planning, financial analysis and budgeting.
- Retainer contracts work well for ongoing development consulting and grant fundraising.
- Such as, writing multiple grant proposals, grant pipeline (lead source) development, award management, HR support, major campaign development and implementation.
- Custom contracts
- Policies updated, researched, analyzed and/or written, wage comparability studies, training workshops
Requirements for all contracts
- There is a $500 minimum on any contract for services (~5.5 hours of services provided and paid for).
- All types of consulting and fundraising services are billed at the same rate, in 15-minute increments (.25 hrs).
- Regular communication and good engagement is required from all key parties for successful outcomes.
- The following clauses are in all contracts, though we hope to avoid using them:
- 20% penalty fee for ending contracts early (before 90% is completed and paid for) without extraordinary cause.
- Fees apply if clients breach the contract, extend the timeline, and/or cancel meetings without notice ($75-250).